Monday, June 30, 2014

What I have been doing for 2 years - taking classes to get my teaching license and pass the MTLE's

MTLE (Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations) logo

I have been taking classes at Augsburg College working on my Master Degree in Education and my teaching licence.  Finally I am down to 1 class left and student teaching this fall in the 8th grade for my license and then 3 classes left to finish the Master's.  It has been a long haul and the reason I have not been accepting books for review like I used too.....but that is almost over YEAH!!!  I wanted to share my experiences with the MTLE's since if you want to be a teacher in Minnesota you must take them even if you have been teaching in another location for decades.  Here are some of my experiences with these exams.  Good Luck!!!!

This is for anyone who still needs to take the MTLE tests to become a licensed teacher in Minnesota.

Basic tests - math, reading, and writing - I took up to the time they allowed us on all of these tests (60 minutes each).  I passed all 3 but my score on the writing test was the lowest of the 3.  I ran out of time mid paragraph on my last essay.  You need a 240 on each exam to pass that portion.

My advice - 
Math is tough - study Khans academy - go to IXL and look over topics in Algebra and Geometry - study for this test if you are not 100 percent confident in you math abilities - this test is nothing like the California or other states basic tests- this one is tough - basic for college algebra students maybe.

Reading - just read the questions 1st and then read the passage by skimming or you will run out of time - this test is fast and you will not make it to the end if you read every word in the passages.  Skim big time on this test.

Writing - go through the questions quickly so you have time to do the essay writing at the end of the test - write a quick outline and then write fast - keep the outline at the top so that they can see what you were going for if you run out of time, 2 paragraphs for this test. 

I will post again about the pedagogy and the special education content tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.