Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book Review - Lady Thief - A. G. Gaughen

16181630
Title:  Lady Thief
Author:  A.C. Gaughen

Review:   Lady Thief is the sequel to Scarlet, which is a twist on Robin Hood, where Will Scarlet is Lady Marian.  I am going to admit I am a Robin Hood nut and as a child I would pretend to shoot bows and arrows using my mom’s metal hanger while making any twig I found into arrows.  So whenever someone writes a Robin Hood story I can’t help but read the book.  I have read some serious crap on this pursuit but also some really fun stories.  Scarlet and Lady Thief are a fun twist on Robin Hood and his marry men, one I would add to the pile of fun stories so you if like Robin Hood give this series a try.

Scarlet is the first in a trilogy where the reader meets Will Scarlet who is a girl with a secret she doesn't want anyone to know not even Robin Hood. She dresses like a lad, steals from those who have more and gives to those she cares about. Scarlet tries to keep secrets that only seem to eat her up inside causing a refit in Robin Hood band of thieves.

Lady Thief takes place a few months after Scarlet - where Robin is dealing with the stress of healing and the demons that follow him in his dreams. Scarlet wants to take away his pains but soon finds herself protecting herself physically and emotional from Robins demons that follow him. Scarlet has been given an ultimatum to join the nobles and be given her freedom or remain married to the man who tried to kill her.  To follow her heart she makes a deal with the devil himself her husband Guy of Gisbourne and promises to play his wife in Nottingham. While there she finds out a secret that changes everything and nothing will ever be the same.  I want to tell you but I can’t because that would totally kill the book for you so I am sorry, read the book and see for yourself what it is that changes everything.

I loved how the author used some of the folklore found in ever Robin Hood story but the authors added her own fun twist.  Again the author uses this time period to make for some cringe worthy moments that make you wonder how any one survived the middle ages. I enjoy the fact the author uses the time period correctly with language, imaginary and setting. I have a love hate relationship with this book and don’t want to give away any hidden goodies but trust me you will LOVE some parts of this book and others you will hate and still you will wonder where the author is going to take the third book?  This book has romance, kissing but it’s nothing today’s thirteen year old haven’t already seen and read.

I am excited to read the third in the series and I will tell you there were some moments where I wanted to throw my Kindle on the floor and yell No Way!  If you loved the first you will love this one as well.  (But I wanted to read the next so not throwing of the electronics allowed.)

A.C. Gaughen uses grammar and language that was used during the time period making the story come alive.  I would recommend this novel to my thirteen year old niece because there is no language, or sex, but the violence might be consider at PG13 level only.
Thanks go to Heidi for this review. - my eyes are getting bad so here for you with eyes like mine- no glasses needed to read this review.

Publisher:  Expected publication: February 11th 2014 by Walker Childrens
ISBN:  9780802736147
Page Numbers:  304
Quick Review:  5 out 5 stars
Why I Read this Title:  I love books like this. – Sent by the publisher for review.

Synopsis:  Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again.
 A.C. Gaughen
Author Details:  I am shamelessly addicted to staying up far too late (it feels like stealing time), diet coke (it burns so good), Scotland (stupid country stole my heart and won't give it back. Interpol has been ineffective for prosecution) and thieves (so I guess I'm not that mad at Scotland).

Want to know more? Just ask!


Other Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.