Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book Review - Ghellow Road - T.H Waters

Title:      Ghellow Road

Author:   T.H. Waters

Review:  This book is well written, it keeps you reading even when you have other things to do.  The story captivated me from the very beginning and I was pulled in completely.  The authors’ writing has an amazing flow that keeps you from putting it down.  I cried, I laughed, my heart broke for Theresa and I wanted nothing more than for her mother to get better and start caring for her family, even though I knew that wasn’t going to happen.

In college and right after wards, I worked with the mentally Ill.  My husband and I managed apartments for those well enough to live on their own with a bit of supervision.  We would look out the window and see a group of six or more smoking while sitting around the picnic table.  They were all talking and caring on long conversations, yet none of them were conversing with each other only with the voices in their own heads.  Their stories were varied as they were, but they all broke my heart.  Being cured was not an option, only the hope that the new medicine would work longer then the last one.

I loved this book and the author did an amazing job of putting you into her life.  I wanted her to be happy, I wanted her family to be whole again and I wanted her to know that she was loved.  Her mother loved her; she just could not get healthy enough to show it very often.  Beautifully written, moving and something I will be thinking about for awhile to come.

Maybe you don’t like stories about the mentally ill, but this is one everyone should read.  It is not their fault, it is an illness that has no cure only medications that can ease the symptoms for awhile.   Hearing voices has got to be one of the most difficult thing for them, how do you ignore something that is screaming in your head?

Everyone should read this book.  You will find a new way of seeing mental illness, those that suffer from it and the families and friends who love them.  I loved this book, and I thank the author for sending it.  As with all my reviews I have received no compensation and I do not know the author.

Publisher:  Published October 14th 2010 by Verefor Publishing Company LLC

Copyright: 2010

Pages:  302

ISBN: 0982893116

Quick Review:  5 Stars out of 5.  Read this book.

Why I Read it:  The author was looking for reviewers and the book interested me.

Where I Obtained the Book:  Sent by the author.

Synopsis:  Ghellow Road is a literary diary of a young girl's journey through the tangled labyrinth that is her life. Theresa's story begins in a large Midwestern city where she is born to loving parents in 1965. For a brief moment in time, her life is full, as is her heart, and the world is hers to receive without consequence. As time passes and Theresa grows, supernatural forces begin to shape her existence, no matter how carefully her father colors the empty spaces of her world. After a series of tragic events, Theresa and her family seek refuge in a small Minnesota town nestled near the shores of Rainy Lake. She creates a new life for herself there, sharing adventures with friends and riding the ups and downs of adolescence. Yet through it all, her mother remains forever lost in the prison of her own mind and forever lost to Theresa. The young girl feels as though she is leading a double life, one that no one else could possibly understand. She begins to peer at the world as if looking through a thick, black veil, never certain which pieces are illusion and which are not. Through the kindness and support of the townspeople, She eventually summons the strength to survive. This is a story of tragedy and triumph. This is the story of my life.

Author Biography:  I was raised in the state of Minnesota and currently reside in Minneapolis with my significant other and two loving kitty cats. I have always been a life-long lover of the written word. I love the magic of it, the mystique; I love the breadth of it and how it can fortify one’s spirit. I didn’t grow up imagining that I would one day become an author. In fact, I never even considered it until about 8 years ago when I received news that my brother had died suddenly. He was only 39 years old. It was one of the saddest days of my life. Numb and in shock, I picked up a pen and some paper, sat down at my dining room table and, with tears streaming down my face, I wrote his eulogy. A few more years would pass before my significant other encouraged me to take my passion for writing and use it to create my life’s story, Ghellow Road. My book is written from the heart, and I hope it will move you in some way… All my best, T.H. Waters

Other Reviews:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.