Friday, July 25, 2014

Book Review - Outlander - Diana Gabaldon - TV series coming soon

10964


Title:  Outlander

AuthorDiana Gabaldon

Review:  This book was recommended to me by multiple people, but I have been so busy with other readings and school that I had put it aside.  Well with the news that the book was being made into a mini-series I decided I better read it so I could discuss the finer parts with the TV watchers.

I loved it as I was reading it….but as I thought about it I found the flaws.  I am not so sure about reading the rest at this point.  I thought the story was amazing and a hot page turner.  As I was reading I didn’t think much about the fact that Jamie and Claire were almost mythical in their abilities, but now I think they were a bit over the top….no one is that lucky or that strong….really that was a bit hard to swallow after the fact – that is one reason I may not read another in this series.  I love characters that can take care of themselves, but come on they both should be dead several times over and over and over.....

Claire is a strong women who is lucky- lucky – lucky that is for sure – of course if she did die that would be the end of the story….I do like the fact that Jamie and her love is strong – more than the average bears to be sure.  The idea that Randall is so like her husband Frank is scary…I am not sure I would want to go back home after that experience....YUCK!!!!  But I would want to go back for indoor plumbing and warm showers.

I would recommend this book to anyone- the sex is mild – the story is a bit wild – and the history is rich, interesting and well researched.  I love the idea that she is going to try and change history from destroying the Scotland she loves and the men she is tied to by marriage.  The author paints a vivid world for the reader to jump in and explore.  This is a page turner even with its length it will not take that long to read.



Published:  Published July 26th 2005 by DellPublishing Company (first published January 1st 1991)
ISBN:  9780440242949
Page Count: 870
Quick Review:  4 out 5 stars –
Why I Read this Title:  Recommended to me.

Synopsis:   The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Author Information:   Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .


Other Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.