Thursday, May 30, 2013

Book Review - When Can You Start - Paul Freiberger


 

Title: When Can You Start?: How to Ace the Interview and Win the Job

Author: Paul Freiberger

Review:  I think that the number one thing before a job interview is being prepared.  This book will help you figure out how and what to do in this area.  Currently I am in a situation where I feel like I am on a constant job interview.  I am a long-term substitute teacher for a teacher that is out the rest of the year.  I have been with the students for over a quarter now and I am getting into the groove.  My issue is with the fact that I am going to school to get my teaching license and my Master of Education license.  I will be trying to get a job in this district(maybe this school) in a bit over a year.  This puts me in the position of constant job interview mode.  It is tough, yet I am learning so much.

I read this book looking for some pointers and it has them.  If you are unsure of how to interview for a job this is the book for you.  I know when I was straight out of college that I blew many an interview by not knowing what to do, how to present myself and what to say.  One interview I blew by looking too young, I was 23 and the interviewer kept saying that I looked like I was still in high school and that was just …. Well I didn’t get the job.  Now I worry I will have the opposite issue since I am in my mid 40’s almost, or at least by the time I am interviewing for a teaching job. 

Get this book to help you know what to do for that so important interview.  We all need and want to be gainfully employed so this little book might be the answer to your wondering how to achieve that goal.  Go get this book today.

Publisher:  Published March 1st 2013 by Career Upshift Productions
ISBN:  9780988702806
Copyright: 2013
Pages: 248
ISBN: 9781451645828
Quick Review:  5 stars out of 5.
Obtained Book from:  Sent by the publisher for review.

Synopsis: In a tough job market, only a select few succeed at the interview process. What sets them apart? As President of Shimmering Resumes, Paul Freiberger helps job seekers rise above the competition and get hired. Now he's giving you the tools to ace the interview and win the job. You will learn how to: be ready for The Only Question You Must Be Able to Answer (not) tell the interviewer about your weaknesses answer any trick question or oddball question ask the right questions be confident in any interview situation avoid interview mistakes negotiate the salary you deserve Use the practical, effective, and proven techniques in this book to convert "We'll be in touch" to those four words everyone wants to hear: "When can you start?" "This book is powerful and expertly researched. Packed with interview advice you need to get your next job."-Larry Kramer, President and Publisher, USA Today
 Image of Paul Freiberger
Author Biography: Paul Freiberger, author of "When Can You Start?" is an award-winning writer. His work has been widely praised for its effectiveness and compassion. As President of Shimmering Resumes, Paul helps individuals throughout the world improve their careers with job interview preparation, resumes and job search.

Paul won The Los Angeles Times Book Award as co-author of "Fuzzy Logic" (Simon & Schuster, 1994) and he co-authored the best-selling "Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer" (McGraw-Hill, 1984, rev. 2000), translated into many languages and later made into the Hollywood movie Pirates of Silicon Valley. He has produced reports for National Public Radio programs, including All Things Considered and Morning Edition. He is a former columnist for the San Jose Mercury News and a reporter for the San Francisco Examiner. He directed communications for McKinsey & Company, the world's most respected global management consulting firm.

Paul has gone through several job transformations himself. He has worked as a teacher, a night porter, a newspaper reporter, a technology project manager, a chef, a communications executive, and an entrepreneur. He knows the job search process and how to make it work. He earned a B.A. in history at the State University of New York at Binghamton and a Masters in Italian from Middlebury College.

He is working on a book on job search strategies for new graduates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.