Thursday, May 2, 2013

Book Review - Joy Worthy - Julie McGrath


Title:  Joy Worthy

Author:  Julie McGrath

Review:  Julie McGrath writes a how to guide for mom to find their inner peace. 

This book review will also have some personal feeling and might come off as a commentary and less of a review of the book. 

First off I am a mom of soon to be 4 children ranging from the age of 6 to newborn in a few months.  I feel the stress of trying to balance marriage,  children, home and personal happiness every day.

I wasn't able to connect well with the author due to the fact she whined about her personal life in the first few pages.  She talked about having two children and working full time and at one point she talked about how she couldn't wait for her weekend to end so she could get back to working with adults.  I am a stay at home mom and I am with my kids almost 24 hours a day because I want to be with them.  The author at one point came across as if she didn't want to have her children around.  Julie McGrath mentioned how she had a handy man working in her house and he came to her asking why she had a babysitter when she was sitting in the back yard reading a book and drinking ice tea.  She told the worker she would be a better mom after having her me time. I have me time but it is after I know the children have had their mommy time.

After I got past that part of the book I realized it was a how to guide for mothers who have lost their way by putting everyone first and leaving themselves last.

After every chapter she has the reader reflect on their personal needs. How to say No, and stay positive, how to find positive people and how to become a positive person.

This book is great for those lost in motherhood trying to find their joy.  I was in therapy before I became a mother and during that time my spouse and learned to communicate with each other.  We learned to mourn the loss of the easy life when our first child came and again with each child after that.  I learned to cope with the loss of freedom but the joys that came with each new child.  This book also like therapy will help the reader cope with the loss and joys of change in their lives. 

The author asked a question like, what is your mommy guilt? Than the reader is to journal their feeling, as well as finding heir goals and writing them down. What are your professional, spiritual, personal, physical goals and how to set each goal?

This book has great ability to help mothers who feel lost in life, love and passion and how to find their inner peace to become a better person.

What I have found in this book is things I have already applied to my life.  Open communication with my spouse, writing down my goals, setting goals and finding positive people to surround myself with to become a happier person.  I agree with the author that mothers need to find their inner peace but at the same time it’s all about balance.  Children need to know they are loved by their mother and when she is home she needs to be present and when she is with friends she is able to enjoy the freedom without worrying about her children.
I reviewed my own life as I read this book and found that I have a wonderful spouse who helps me find peace by giving me time away from home and encourages me to go out with friends while he stays home with the kids at night.

For moms who feel lost in life this book will help you find your way and for moms who think like I did - I have everything I need. The author taught me to write down my goals, journal my feeling, and be more open with my spouse. 

To find Joy in motherhood we must first mourn the loss of single life, married life and find peace in our lives as mothers.

Thank you Heidi, for this review.

Publisher:  November 12th 2012 by The Joy Source, LLC
ISBN:  0988478803
Pages:  180
Quick Review:  4 out of 5 stars
Where I got the book: From the Publisher

Synopsis:  No matter where you are on your beautiful, often exhausting journey through motherhood, Joy-Worthy gives you a plan to put yourself first without guilt and rediscover what gives you joy. If motherhood is sucking the joy right out of you -- or you fear it might -- joy coach and licensed social worker Julie McGrath offers down-to-earth guidance on how to get your own needs met so you can be a better mother and create the fulfilling life of your dreams. You don’t have to put your happiness on hold -- you can learn how to be happy right now, because you are joy-worthy!
 
Author Information:   A licensed social worker, Julie watched women disappear into parenting, relationships, work and lose their true selves and desires. The women around her were becoming empty shells of who they once were, full of guilt at the prospect of taking the precious time needed for themselves.  A strong advocate for women, Julie said enough!  In 2009, she created The Joy Source to encourage and empower women to rediscover themselves, find their joy and passion, and live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.