Monday, January 12, 2015

Book Review - Strange Shores Arnaldur Indridason

18404209
Title:  Strange Shores (Inspector Erlendur #11)


Author:   Arnaldur Indriðason

Review:  I look forward to this authors books and have yet to be disappointed - I will tell you that of all the ones I have read that Voices is still my favorite.  This author has a way of making you think about his books for months after you read them - haunting I think is what that is called.  This is another book that will make me think about what really happened at the end.  My husband is of one opinion and I am of another.  I enjoy the characters in this series - but in this book you have only Erlendur and his quest again for his lost brother.

Great story line - interesting characters you meet along the way and the end....I am still not sure about that...but a good mystery and story and I will be reading the next as soon as it comes out in America - I wish I could read Icelandic so I could read this series sooner.

4 stars because I am confused by the ending and a bit sad all at the same time.  I checked this book out at my local library.

Publisher:  Published August 15th 2013 by Vintage Digital (first published 2010)

Synopsis:   A young woman walks into the frozen fjords of Iceland, never to be seen again. But Matthildur leaves in her wake rumours of lies, betrayal and revenge.

Decades later, somewhere in the same wilderness, Detective Erlendur is on the hunt. He is looking for Matthildur but also for a long-lost brother, whose disappearance in a snow-storm when they were children has coloured his entire life. He is looking for answers.

Slowly, the past begins to surrender its secrets. But as Erlendur uncovers a story about the limits of human endurance, he realises that many people would prefer their crimes to stay buried.
Arnaldur Indriðason
Author information:  Arnaldur was born in Reykjavík on 28 January 1961, the son of writer Indriði G. Þorsteinsson. He graduated with a degree in history from the University of Iceland in 1996. He worked as a journalist for the newspaper Morgunblaðið from 1981 to 1982, and later as a freelance writer. From 1986 to 2001, he was a film critic for Morgunblaðið.

His first book, Synir duftsins (Sons of Dust) came out in 1997, the first in the series with Detective Erlendur. Arnaldur is considered one of the most popular writers in Iceland in recent years — topping bestseller lists time and again. In 2004, his books were 7 of the 10 most popular titles borrowed in Reykjavík City Library. In 2006, his Erlendur novel Mýrin was made into a film, known internationally as Jar City, by Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur.

Arnaldur's books have been published in 26 countries and translated into at least 20 languages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.