Thursday, October 4, 2012

Book Review - In Plain Sight - Lorena McCourtney


In Plain Sight (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #2)
Title: In Plain Sight

Review:   Having read the first book in this series I was so looking forward to the next one.  The first one kept me in stitches the whole time, whether she was in the cemetery watching for vandals- all the way through to when she climbs out the window of a dirty bathroom in a junk yard.  This first book was so well written and just had such an appeal and I fell in love with Ivy Malone just like she was a friend I had right next door. 

This having been said the second book very much disappointed me.  I was so looking forward to a really good story again and there were some very good parts in it but I felt that it was a bit contrived and I  knew who the victim was going to be and just who had murdered her.  The constant reference to the Braxtons, trying to find her and murder her is a bit much and tiresome, I felt it was time for Ivy to move on to other adventures with her old friends and leave that group behind.

I like how Mac has come back into her life but their romance either needs to move a bit faster or be dropped altogether and besides I like the lawyer guy better anyway.

It is a good story but not a great story is all I can say, so I give this book a 3.  But I have already read book 3 and …….. so ....

Thanks goes to Eileen for this review.


Publisher: Published April 1st 2005 by FlemingH. Revell Company
ISBN: 9780800759551
Copyright: 2005
Pages: 311
Quick Review: 3 stars out of 5 
Why I Read this Book:  I read the 1st one in the series and loved it.
Where I Obtained the Book: I bought it off of Amazon for Kindle. 

Synopsis:  Ever wonder how a little old lady with possum-gray hair could wind up on a homicidal hit list? Well, nothing is too outlandish for Ivy Malone. She's back and she's brought her mutant curiosity gene with her. And ever since the evil-intentioned Drake Braxton and his family threatened to make road kill out of Ivy, her life has been crazier than ever With the ever-present threat of looming Braxtons, Ivy decides to get out of Dodge for a while. But for someone who slides down banisters and drives a T-Bird, hiding from the mob does not come easily. And when strange things start happening to her new neighbors, Ivy's snooping sense kicks into overdrive. Will she unravel the mystery? Or will the threats to her safety scare her away? With Invisible, readers laughed so hard they cried. In Plain Sight, the second Ivy Malone mystery, promises to be even better.
Lorena McCourtney - Christian Author

Author Biography:  My husband and I live in southern Oregon. For many years we lived on rural acreage, lots of space and country peace and quiet. But a few months ago we decided it was time to make the move to town.

If any of you have ever lived in one home for 32 years, you'll know how difficult a move this was. Emotionally difficult, but mostly it was all that STUFF we had to get rid of. Everything from two old sofas (one given away, one chopped up and burned) to a pair of mounted impala horns to a dump truck and a 1,000 gallon gasoline tank.

But the move is, at last, accomplished, and I'm finding myself quite pleased with town living.

I have one son and a granddaughter. Jim has two daughters and three grandchildren. Our family is fairly well scattered, so we do not see them as often as we’d like.

I started writing in the fifth grade. All my stories were about horses. This love of horses carried me through a degree in agriculture from Washington State University. My first job out of college, however, was with a big meat-packing company in the Midwest, where I quickly discovered that writing about hogs and sausage making was not my life’s calling.

Marriage and motherhood intervened, and by the time I got back to writing, I knew fiction was what I wanted to write. I started out doing short stories for children and teenagers, mostly for Sunday-School publications. Then, primarily because of financial pressures, I wrote women’s short stories and romance novels, all the time promising the Lord I would get back to Christian writing. Finally, after 24 published romance novels, the Lord made plain that it was time to make good on that promise. It was time to become a Christian author and write exclusively Christian fiction. The first 6 of these books were with the Palisades line of Christian romance, but with my 7th book of Christian fiction, WHIRLPOOL, I turned to a stronger emphasis on mystery.

One of the nicest perks of being a Christian author is hearing from readers, and I’d be delighted to hear from any of you. Contact me at lorena2@earthlink.net.

Other Reviews: 
Christian Book Mix
Book Books and more Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.