Friday, June 29, 2012

Book Review - Pie Town - Lynne Hinton


Title: Pie Town

Author: Lynne Hinton

Review: The characters in this book were sweet and endearing at times, but just a bit one sided and flat at the others. I found this book to be difficult to really get into and the lives of the people to be quite predictable. Otis was sweet and silly, but you really didn’t get much deeper than that into his character and while everyone adored Alex…Why did they adore Alex except for the fact that he was born ill and wise beyond his years and …I didn’t really understand that bit at all. The priest who had issues mixed with the run-away with issues, mixed with a town that doesn’t serve pie, mixed with a happy divorced couple that …well I’m not really sure about them either. A seriously messed up daughter who leaves her son with his grandparents and a town that is unfriendly at best, makes for an interesting setting that didn't deliver, in my opinion.

The end I saw coming from the first chapter. I think that this could have been a much better story with a few less quirky characters that really never morphed into more than that. The ending wrapped everyone and everything up in a happy little neat package and I love happily ever after stories, but this one fell short of my expectations. It just wasn't my thing.

The recipes in the back of the book sound interesting and I think I will give one or two of them a try. I will be offering this book on Goodreads swap. If you like happy endings, feel good messages about a hard working town coming together to help everyone, you may enjoy this book.


Publisher: Published June 7th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers

ISBN: 0062045083

Copyright: 2011

Pages: 384

Quick Review: 2 1/2 stars (out of 5)

Why I Read It: I signed up to win this at Goodreads, it sounded interesting.

Where I Obtained the Book: I won it and it was sent by the publisher.

Synopsis: Pie Town, New Mexico, was once legendary for its extraordinary pies. But it's been a while since these delectable desserts graced the counter at the local diner. The townspeople—a hearty mix of Anglos, Hispanics, and Native Americans—like to think of themselves as family, especially when it comes to caring for Alex, a disabled little boy being raised by his grandparents. But, unforeseen by all, Pie Town's fortunes are about to take a major turn—due to the arrival of a new priest, Father George Morris, who seems woefully unprepared for his first assignment, and the young hitchhiker Trina, who some townsfolk just know is trouble. . . .

Author Biography: Lynne Hinton is the pastor of St. Paul's United Church of Christ in Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The author of numerous novels including Friendship Cake, Hope Springs, Forever Friends, Christmas Cake, and Wedding Cake, she lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Other Reviews:



1 comment:

  1. I see the freedom to read button in your sidebar but don't see a giveaway. Email me if you get one posted.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.