Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recap review from The Great Fat Fraud - Mike Schatzki and pedometer review

The Great Fat Fraud

After reading this book I was at the Dollar Tree with the kids so I picked up a cheap pedometer to give the 10,000 steps a try and see how many steps I really do in a regular day.  Well the cheap pedometer was a pain and kept shutting itself off, so after a few days I researched the best pedometer and ended up buying this  
.Gosmart HJ-112N Dual Axis Pocket Pedometer
This is so much easier to use then the cheap one, but the one con I see using it is that it doesn't count slow steps and as a substitute teacher I get lots of slow steps in during the day(checking over shoulders as the kids work on items.  I slowly plod around the room and none of those steps are counted.)   Otherwise it works great.

Results: I have found that on a day I am home, that is a non-weekend, I average 2000-3000 steps and that is it....WOW!  That really was a shock to me, I'm not what I would consider a sedentary person, but maybe I'm wrong.

Some stats on me:  Height 5' 5"
                               Weight 125
                               Age 42

I exercise almost everyday and I stay pretty active in my daily life...obviously not steps.  I decided after reading this book to give the 10,000 steps a day a try.  I wear the pedometer on my hip or in a pocket(the best part about this one is the ability to carry it in a pocket, I have even clipped it to the front of my bra if no pocket is available and I don't want a lump at my hip, it hides quite nice.)  For over two weeks now I have gotten my 10,000 steps each day and my feet ache a bit at the end of the day.  A few days I have been short so I jump on the treadmill before bed and put on the needed 1000-1500 steps, this is after I have already walked a half hour or more every morning.  10,000 steps didn't seem like a lot when I read the book, but I have to tell you that it is!  I believe it will be worth it, but I thought it would be a breeze and that I walked that much anyway....wow what an eye opener to realize just how little I move during a regular day.  I think everyone should find out how many steps they average in a day, it's interesting to see how much or how little you really move.  Summertime I would have no problem getting the steps done, we walk everywhere and rarely drive the car.  But it is now late fall and getting cold so we are in the car daily.

The reason I want to do this is to test the book theory about not putting weight on as I age.  The author states that if we walk 10,000 steps each day we can keep our weight where it is...that is what I want as I age.  Extra pounds have a way of finding you as the years pass.  I don't want to put on pounds each year, I want to stay at the weight I am now.

This pedometer also counts calories, miles and aerobic steps.  I'm happy with this purchase and will continue to see how many steps I can get everyday.  This morning I did an hour of yoga and then went on a 5 mile walk with my husband.  A great way to get the steps in, by the way 10,000 steps is about 5 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lisa, I'm impressed!! I hate winter weight and struggled with mine this summer.... This could be the trick!! Keep us updated!

    And I noticed you commented on my soap blog ages ago!! I haven't tried bacon soap, but I can imagine it would be awesome!! Now where to find a pound and a half of bacon fat!

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.