Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Author Interview with Maren Kaye - co-author of The Devil's Game


Today I have the opportunity to interview one of the co-authors of The Devil’s Game, Maren Kaye.  I read this book and really enjoyed it, here is a link to my review. I would also recommend it to any readers out there.

1. Where do you come up with the idea? 

The idea started with one of S.L.'s book ideas. Just for fun, she sent me the first chapter of something she had come up with and asked me to add the second chapter. I had just come back from visiting my 24-year-old daughter in Portland Oregon and was inspired by her moxie at taking on the big city with so much confidence. I think S.L. and I both love the idea of bringing strong women to the thriller genre. As time progressed, the book took on a life of its own. We both loved what the other added and it really just came together so easily. Our styles fit together so well, she's a veritable ocean of knowledge and knows how to keep a story fun, fast, and fascinating. 

2. Have you been stalked or someone close to you? 

 I haven't personally been stalked, that I know of. But I can relate to the feeling of powerlessness that our character experiences from my own experiences with being robbed. It's such a frightening feeling to know that someone you don't know can have so much power over you. It's like one day your free as a bird, and the next you feel you have to hide from the world you once felt so safe in.


3.  What boxed cereal is you favorite and why?  (I love Capn' Crunch)

 I used to live on Capn' Crunch! Now that I have kids, I try and buy the healthy stuff, like Cherios and Craklin' Oat Bran. Fruit Loops seem to find their way into my shopping cart now and then... I'm not sure how they get in there.


4. What music to you listen to when you write?  Why?

I like to listen to music that fits with the era and taste of the characters I'm writing about. Pandora is a real lifesaver when it comes to finding more obscure types of music, like Ska or Brazilian big band samba. I love Brazilian music. 


5.  Name a favorite author and what is your number one book of theirs?  Why?

 It's so hard to pick one author, and I love different types of authors for different reasons. But I think overall for pure escapism,  Michael Crichton is my favorite. I haven't read a book of his that I didn't love. I also love the fact that he was snubbed by the critics of his time, yet outsold most of his contemporaries. (I love Monet for the same reason). I couldn't put down Timeline. Time travel is such a fascinating subject. I hope to write a book about time travel... maybe some time in the future.


6.  What do you enjoy watching on TV?  Why?

 I don't think I've missed a Daily Show episode in three years. It's an addiction. I get so mad when they go on vacation. Then I'm stuck with Colbert re-runs. Does anyone know why they're always on vacation at the same time?


7. How is the weather where you live...right now?

The weather here is bleeping hot! I live in North Carolina, which most of the time is great. But not in July. Someday, when I'm rich and famous, or maybe just rich, I'm going to buy a summer vacation home some place cooler, like Alaska. I hear it has great views of Russia.


8.  What else would you like to tell our readers about your book?

 The Devil's Game is a fun, quick an entertaining escape from all the stress we put up with in our busy lives. But it also happens to have strong women characters. I'm proud of the fact that we were able to keep the book exciting and sexy without having to go the traditional route. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as we enjoyed writing it.


Thank you for taking the time to talk with us about your new book and good luck in your future writings.  I appreciate your time and your work.  Lisa




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.