Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review - The Bad, The Good and Two Fishing Women - Randy Kadish


Title:      The Bad, The Good and Two Fly Fishing Women


Review:  Aging and death are something we all have to deal with, but as a young person they seem so much bigger and scarier than they really are.  How would you deal with your mother just up and leaving and then your grandmother leaving unexpected to go fishing when you know she is ill?  Being alone is scary, but losing the ones you hold closest is paralyzing.  This the story of one girls journey to find what she feels she is losing.

This is a short story that was interesting to read, the descriptions of the water and the land they hiked were clear, but a bit over the top also.  It’s a fine line between beautiful descriptors and way too many.  The characters were heartwarming.

Coming to the end of one’s life is something we all will have to deal with and how we deal with it will affect those around us until they go.  How will you handle it?  I’m not really sure.

The story really deals with only one day, but the way the day turns out takes their worlds in a different path then before.  One day really can change the course of your life, think about it.

I liked the book and think most people would enjoy the story.  It was short and easy to read.

Publisher:  Published December 11th 2010 by Randy Kadish, via Smashwords

Copyright: 2010

Pages:  ebook

ISBN: 0011152494

Quick Review:  3 Stars out of 5. 

Why I Read it:  The author was looking for reviewers and this caught my eye.

Where I Obtained the Book:  Sent by the author.

Synopsis: 
Now, as I approach the autumn of my life and some, though not all, of my dreams have come true, how do I describe myself? As a wife and a mother who loves her family, as an attorney who admires the law, and as a fly fisher who proudly says she learned from the greatest fly fisher she ever knew: her grandmother.

And whether by accident or not, my grandmother, with the help of some unexpected and dark events, taught me something even more important than fishing, something that, even after such a long, long parade of days, I still cherish, like an antique fly rod, and wish to pass on.

The lesson happened in the middle of trout season, on the first day of summer, when several incidents came together, perhaps randomly, and formed the big event of June twenty-first. I was fourteen years old and very, very hurt and angry.

Why, you ask? ...

e-Story Description:

When her mother deserts her to be with a new man, Amanda is hurt and betrayed. She loses faith in the world. To soothe her pain, she retreats into fly fishing, until she learns that her loving grandmother has terminal cancer.

Amanda struggles to find answers. Then one day she discovers that her grandmother, against the doctor’s orders, has gone fishing somewhere on the Junction River. Frightened, Amanda, along with Shana, her adopted dog, and Vernon, a grieving alcoholic, searches the river—but marches into an unexpected, terrifying event that, in a surprising way, helps her learn to forgive and to see the good in the world.


 Author Biography:  I'm a native New Yorker. My writing has appeared in many publications, including The Flyfisher, Flyfishing & Tying Journal and Fishing And Hunting News. I'm also the author of the historical and recovery novel, The Fly Caster Who Tried to Make Peace with the World, and of the ebook, The Bad, The Good and Two fly Fishing Women.

To me, much of my writing is about coming to terms with grief, and with a world I often can’t understand. In a sense, my writing is autobiographical, as it reflects my own gratifying, but at times, difficult journey of emotional and spiritual recovery.

On the long road of my journey, I slowly learned that, even when I don’t have answers, I must strive to find forgiveness and self-worth, and to connect to the good and the beautiful in the world.

(This is how I define spirituality.)

I therefore love books where the main characters struggle against inner and outer conflicts and try to do good.

And so, I believe in telling a good story and showing that life, with all its craziness, is always worth living.

Other Reviews:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.