Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Books read in February for TStevens

have a basic goal of reading 150 books this year, but a stretch goal of breaking the 200 barrier. Last year I got to 187 which was ever so close. So far I am on target for the big goal but it is only 2 moths in; a lot could go wrong yet. Generally I try to only review recent books on the blog, so a lot of these slip through the cracks. Anyways, here is my recap for February of what I read and why.

Group one is the bathroom books, or rather, the thin paperbacks I can carry anywhere I go for when the opportunity to read presents itself. In my library you are reduced to either Cozies, Romances, or Westerns. I chose Cozies (light mysteries – think Murder She Wrote-y).
Thief of Hearts by Christiopher Golden
Soul Survivor by Christopher Golden
The Death of Cousin Rose by Jonathan Harrington
Whose Body? By Dorothy Sayers (I read this as part of my Goodreads group)
The Skeleton in the Closet by MC Beaton

Now I love mysteries and I live in Minnesota, so it is a requirement to read John Sandford. I avoided it for years, I don’t know why, but now I am slowly making up for it. FWIW they are quite enjoyable and should be read in order (except for Night Crew which is a stand-alone).
The Night Crew by John Sandford
Easy Prey by John Sandford

The next group are authors I love and generally keep up with their books. I have either rveiwed them here already or shortly will be.
The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman (review coming)
The Complaints by Ian Rankin (review)
The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (review coming)
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris (review)

I always cruise the new nonfiction shelf at the library looking for titles that catch my eye. Very much a hit or miss process.
Brazen Careerist by Penelope Trunk
The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri (review)
The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum (review coming)

Finally we have classic books that I have missed. Usually I just think I should read them to be a little more well rounded.
Paradise Reclaimed by Haldor Laxness
This is a classic text from the Nobel Prize author from Iceland. I started a little over 2 years ago and only read it when I was early to church, so maybe a few pages a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.