Monday, November 14, 2016

Motherhood Monday Teaching Respect

Image result for What did you tell your kids


As many I was shocked when No president Elect Trump won the election. I will not talk about who I voted for because it upset everyone on both sides of the lines and this isn't about who won.  It about how I tell me sons and daughters who one the election.
Over the course of the election my kiddos would come home telling me I can't vote for Trump because their fiends will be sent back to Mexico. Their parents are illegal here and even some of the kids are illegal here as well not being born in the United States.  
One night both my kids were in tears begging me not to vote for Trump because they didn't want to lose their friends.

Than the sexual assault stories stated to flow and I looked at my two blonde hair blue eyes girls and wondered what I would do if someone sexually assaulted them?  

After all I dealt with it as a teen who developed early. Boy's thought they had a right to snap my bra, grab my boobs and making honking noises while gesturing. Not to mention them making fun of my butt or lack there of butt by grabbing it. 

 I spent college dealing with the"Accidental Boob\Butt Swipe" The guy that can't take no for an answer until you knee him just to get away.  Not to mention the endless comments about my body, my clothing (Lets face it I grew up in baggy pants and tops in high school and college turned into the Britney Spears exposing almost everything clothing.)

At the age of 10 years old I was physical attacked by another male student in my class when I put my foot on his bike and teasing pushed it away. He put his hands around my neck until I almost passed out.  I was surrounded by two girls and one other boy and no one did anything to stop him.  If I hadn't heard swing you violin who knows what would have happened. 

Being a teenage is hard add in breast, butt, acne and being tall lanky (Stopped growing in 7th grade at 5'7') I didn't know how to react when someone would treat me in a unkind manner. I pulled it all inside until I went to college where I decided it wasn't going to happen anymore and guys learned pretty early on I had a mean right hook.

Now back to my sons and daughters. I looked at them Wednesday morning knowing I would have to tell them Trump one. Knowing their first thought would be of their friends. 

"No matter who is president we always treat everyone with respect, love, we do not bully and we defend those who need to be defend. We respect the office of President even if we don't like the president. Your friends will always be your friends if you respect them and they respect you.  People will do things to you or your friends that will make you question if they deserve respect.  WE all come from different parts of the world, with different back grounds and all we can do is explain how we feel. Communication is the first step in understand someone else feelings." Than I turned to my girls.
"If a man or woman ever make you feel uncomfortable you can say NO and if what they are doing doesn't stop you are allowed to hit them and I will stand next to you defending you."
Than I turned to my boys.
"If a man or woman so something that makes you physically uncomfortable you tell them No and again if it doesn't stop you have all rights to hit them and I will stand with you."
Than I looked at my sweet family.
"You body is yours and no one has the right to touch it, make comments that make you feel less than you are.  You all 4 have a gift hat people dream of having and that is empathy for others. Some will see that as weakness but it is the greatest gift God has given you.  We love our bodies, we protect out bodies and they are beautiful. We respect others thoughts opinions even if they go against ours because we all have a mind that God gave us to use. I love you all so much now put your friends minds at ease and make sure they know they are loved and are not going anywhere."

What did you tell your kids?

FYI my daughters proudly voted for Jill Stien? Why? I have no idea they told me they wanted me to know they voted but that why they voted is private.  I love my little family. (10,8,6 and 3) They are wiser than ever was at their ages.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.