Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Book Review - The Secrets of Ravelston - Sergio Silveria


The Secret of Ravelston
Title:  The Secrets of Ravelston

Author: Sergio Silveira

Review:  Well this one is tough book to review.  I read it and I enjoyed it for the most part.  I felt the mystery that took Jane over was not well developed that if it had been me I would have just forgotten about it.  Why pursue something with so little interest.  Yes, as the book progressed she found more to interest the mystery, but I would have lost interest at the beginning and so should have Jane.

I don’t know about his being a YA mystery, it could be for any age, but the telling of the story did slow the flow of the book down.  Telling and telling without showing gets old really fast.  I was sick this last weekend and picked up this book.  I read it and put it down to start another and when I finished that one I picked it up again and finished it.  A bit slow in parts, but not a bad story overall.  A bit tweaking of the writing style would greatly enhance the reading experience and maybe a bit more to grasp on for the mystery to start.  Jane was bored, but I still did not see that as enough to get her interests sparked as much as they were in this Mary.

The ending felt a bit rushed and well a bit strange for that matter…what the heck was really going on?  Is what I had to ask myself too many times.  


Publisher: Published January 20th 2012 by Self Published

ISBN: B0070ORZGG

Copyright: 2012

Pages: 180

Quick Review: 2 1/2 stars (out of 5)

Why I Read It:  Sent by the author for review.

Synopsis: As a young and well-to-do British lady of 1805, Jane Freemont's fate was solely decided by others. But her spirit was that of of a fearless sleuth, determined to discover the fate of a poor young woman who had vanished.

If you enjoy the genres of the English novels of manners (Pride and Prejudice) and English mysteries (Miss Marple), you will enjoy the Secret of Ravelston. It attempts to put together both. It also has much satire of aristocratic, well-to-do, individuals, who spend most of their idle lives attempting to amuse themselves, and being served by countless human beings they don't see as real people.

Other Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.