Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Author interview with S.L. Pierce - Secrets

 
Thanks for taking the time to talk with me about your book, Secrets.    Which by the way I really enjoyed reading.

1.  Where did you come up with the idea for this book?
The idea for Secrets came from getting tired of reading books where the strong female heroine ended up getting caught by the bad guy.  And the author usually does it by making the woman do something out of character.  I'm sure authors think it adds excitement but it's just insulting.  I wanted a tough woman who wasn't afraid to go after, or even kill, the bad guy and then not feel bad about it. 

2.  When you were young what did you want to be when you grew-up?
Until my senior year I wanted to be a lawyer (thanks LA Law) but my math teacher convinced me I should be an engineer, so I did.  Don't worry, it didn't come out of nowhere, I was very good at math and science.  I ended up getting my PhD and working for a few years but I never really loved it. 

3.  I love Police Procedurals on TV like; CSI, NCIS, Castle, Law and Order, Bones, etc.  What is your favorite show in this category?
I have been a Law and Order fan since it began.  I think it's because they show everyone contributes to punishing the bad guy.  Ever notice that whoever the show is about is who actually solves the crime?  In one show the CSI team is in the background, in another they are carrying guns and arresting people.  But it doesn't stop me from loving Bones.  I can't get enough of that show, especially since there are no new Law and Order's. 


4.  A good mystery keeps you turning the pages, what is your favorite mystery book?
Easy - The Killing Floor by Lee Child.  I loved that book from the moment I read the blurb.  I thought the mystery part was fantastic.  I couldn't put it down until I knew what was going on.  I also love the main character which leads to the next question (have I used love to much?). 

5.  Your favorite mystery character?
It's Jack Reacher.  The main character from Lee Child's books.  I like that he is unapologetic.  He doesn't go looking for trouble but he doesn't run from it either.  Mess with him, you get what you deserve. 

6.  If you won a trip to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I would go to Sweden.  I've been interested in Sweden ever since I became an Abba fan as a child.  It looks beautiful and peaceful.  Plus I don't enjoy the heat so the moderate temperature would be good.   

7.  Do you listen to music when you write?  And if so what do you listen to?
Writing does not come easy to me so I have to have total silence when I write in order to concentrate.  But when I do listen to music it's mostly Top 40 stuff on my iTouch.  Do they still have the Top 40? 

8.  What is your favorite thing to snack on when you're bored?
Chips Ahoy cookies.  So bad, I know.  I have to leave the bag in the cabinet so I will be forced to get up and walk to get another.  It doesn't stop me from eating the whole bag, but it does slow me down. 

9.  Of all those living, who would you really like to meet and why?
I would like to meet Hilary Clinton.  She has been through so much adversity but still keeps going.  I would like to know where she gets the will to continue. 

10.  What would you like to tell our readers about you story?
I would like to say if you are looking for a fast paced mystery with a strong female lead who never needs rescuing, then you will enjoy Secrets. 

Thank you for your time and the book, I wish you luck with your writing in the future.  Thanks Lisa

As with all of our reviews, we do not know the author or were we compensated in anyway besides a copy of the book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Sounds like a good read.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,
    I hope you give a sample a try - and enjoy it. Thanks for leaving a comment.
    S.L. Pierce

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.