Saturday, March 9, 2013

Book Feature - Age of Aura - Samuel Odunsi Jr.

Champions of Power (Age of the Aura, #1)

Author:  Samuel Odunsi Jr

Synopsis:  There was no other name for the Blessed Galaxy. After being gifted with the Auras, five great powerhouses of celestial creation, the title was a suitable fit. While harnessing such energies, the governing bodies have ruled their respected reaches of the Galaxy for a number of millennia, but now they face the threat of an inevitable calamity that could shake the lives of everyone, caused by one of the five Auras.

After accepting a sudden promotion, a devout man of science, named Lowen Sars, decides to take on the burden of saving the Galaxy’s people after he learns of the calamity, but soon realizes that the role of a hero was a calling not meant for him. In his process of self-discovery, Lowen inadvertently begins the fateful saga of not only the Blessed Galaxy but also the kingdom in possession of the corrupt Aura, and especially its two young heirs of the throne.

Age of the Aura, Phase I: Champions of Power is the first book in a science fiction series that has yet to be seen elsewhere and it will certainly be one for the ages.

Q&A with Samuel Odunsi Jr
What is Age of the Aura?
Age of the Aura is a science fiction story that I started developing, I would say, around the time I was 12 or 13 years old, more or less. Even before I began writing notes and coming up with ideas, I have always wanted to tell a story on a large scale, but even when I was a child I knew that this would take great planning and execution. Given the countless amount of stories that are available, I set out to write a story that was as original as I could possibly make it, without it being too out of the loop.
What are your influences?
Since I am writing in the genre, I would say science fiction has been most influential on me. From literature, movies, television, and animation, I always knew that I wanted to write in the genre. The idea of the future and its possibilities has stuck with me to this day.

I have been a martial artist for a long part of my life, and the styles that I have trained in have had an influence on me. It is not just the combative aspect that I enjoy, but also the mental discipline and physical demand that martial arts training requires.

Lastly I would say that stories in general have influenced me in some way or another. I consider storytelling as the ultimate form of self-expression. The idea of organizing my imagination into a coherent narrative has always fascinated me.


Why should people read Age of the Aura?
Being a skeptic myself, I understand the difficulty people have in wanting to try out anything new, especially with the number of independently published stories that are out there these days. Even though I chose to publish the first book of Age of the Aura independently, it does not undermine the excellence of the story. For those that have read Phase I, they say it's original, unpredictable, contains depth, and has good pacing. For those that can find it in their hearts to take a chance on my work, I believe they will enjoy the story and will also be genuinely surprised at what I have come up with. Phase I properly sets up the massive universe of Age of the Aura and gives a taste of what is to come in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.