Monday, January 31, 2011

Torn - Amanda Hocking



Title: Torn
Publisher: November 12th 2010 by CreateSpace
ISBN: 1456355791
Copyright: 2010
Pages: 356
Quick Review: 3 stars (out of 5)
Why I Read It: This is the second in the trilogy.
Where I Obtained the Book: From the Kindle store for 2. 99.
Synopsis: Wendy thought she finally understood who she was and what she wanted, but everything changes when the rival Vittra come after her.
She's caught between two worlds, torn between love and duty, and she must decide what life she is meant to lead.
Review: I have to say that I love the Kindle even more. This is the second book I’ve read on it and WOW.
The writing had a few issues, typos, words out of order and the doubled up or missing word. The story was interesting and kept me reading. I now need to get the next one. She has successfully sucked me in to the life of her story. This is something many more renowned authors have yet to do. I'm hooked,* SPOILER ALERT*what will happen to Wendy and Fin? Will Loki cause a riff between them and what about getting married at 18 to someone she doesn’t even love? Matt is now involved and not only does she need to answer to the kingdom, her mother, and him, she meets her father. He is quite the tyrant and it seems he may be immortal. What is going to happen? The book flows well and you really want to keep reading and its fast.
This is going to appeal to the teen and preteen out there. A girl who feels lost and doesn't really belong discovers she was right. Wars and decisions hang on her choices. Will she marry for the good of the kingdom, or for love? Who does she really love? Will Matt be okay in the kingdom where everyone hates humans? Being Queen is a dream come true, or it is?

Author Biography: I live in Minnesota, and I write young adult paranormal romance and urban fantasy mostly. The My Blood Approves series is about vampires in Minneapolis, and its available now. I also wrote the Trylle Trilogy, which is a paranormal romance without vampires, shifters, mermaids, fae, angels, dragons, ghosts, or ninjas.
My latest book is Hollowland - a zombie urban fantasy set in the dystopian near future. It's a bit more violent and gritter than my other books, but there is still romance. Mostly though, Remy kicks a lot of butt.
I also enjoy Red Bull, Jim Henson, Batman, Jane Austen, Star Wars legos, and I absolutely hate long walks on the beach out of my intense fear/hatred of wet sand.
My favorite authors are Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Alan Moore, and J. D. Salinger, but I don't write anything like them. I have an obsession with River Phoenix, and I've seen Silence of the Lambs more than any other movie, even The Dark Knight. If I were trapped on a deserted island, the one thing I'd take with me would be a boat capable for taking me home.
I'm also the guitarist in a band called the Fraggin Aardvarks, and even though its even twice as cool as it sounds, we haven't had a practice in like two years, so I'm not sure that technically we are still a band. But we never broke up, and it's an awesome thing to tell people, so I'm sticking with it.
Other Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.