Monday, January 24, 2011

Evil Plans, Having fun on the road to world domination - Hugh MacLeod




Author: Hugh MacLeod
Publishers: February 17th 2011 by Portfolio Hardcover
ISBN: 1591843847 (ISBN13: 9781591843849)
Copyright: 2011
Pages: 192
Quick Review: 4 stars (out of 5)
Why did I read it: I won this book on Goodreads.
Where was book Obtained: It was sent by the publisher.
Synopsis: "It has never been easier to make a great living doing what you love. But to make it happen, first you need an EVIL PLAN. Everybody needs to get away from lousy bosses, from boring, dead-end jobs that they hate, and ACTUALLY start doing something they love, something that matters. Life is short." -Hugh MacLeod
Freud once said that in order to be truly happy people need two things: the capacity to work and the capacity to love. Evil Plans is about being able to do both at the same time. The sometimes unfortunate side effect is that others will hate you for it. MacLeod's insights are brash, wise, and often funny.
Review: I liked it. I need an evil plan, I need to start thinking about what I can do to make a difference in life and in my life especially. What can I give-away and back. Wakers, I want to be one. Haters, I want to have some of those(I think I may already(how exciting).) Life is for the living and taking a risk has never been easy for me, but I need to do what I need to do. I've written four books and only me and a close friend have read them. My friend wants me to do more then just write them and maybe now I will. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but that is where the fun lies. How boring it would be, who would want to touch it, read it, look at it, eat it, if it were absolutely perfect? No one. I'm not perfect and neither will anything I produce. My blog, my kids, my cooking, my writing, and me, all works in progress. Like the book, 'Think Like a Black-Belt' says, "I can just try to be better today then I was yesterday."
This is a fun book and educational at the same time. I hope my senior in HS will read it next, I think he's creative at heart and working 9-5 may kill him. He's a thinker and a performer but working for someone else will be a challenge. I'm easily bored(ADHD maybe?) and so being a substitute teacher keeps that at bay, but it also limits my exposure to the students(which I love.) I think I may be settling because it is comfortable right now, but I really don't want to look back and wonder why I didn't step out of my comfort zone when I had the chance. Change is going to happen whether I like it or not, I may as well get started now.
Read this book and think about what you can do. The world is a changin', can you keep up?

Author Biography: Hugh MacLeod is a cartoonist and professional blogger known for his ideas about how Web 2.0 affects marketing. After a decade of working as an advertising copywriter, MacLeod started blogging at gapingvoid.com in 2001, publishing cartoons that he drew on the backs of business cards in his spare time. He lives in Alpine, Texas.
Other Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.