Monday, March 13, 2017

What am I doing during Spring Break? LDS Youth Trek

What am I doing during Spring Break? LDS Youth Trek.

You might ask what is that? Its is 4 days where 200+ youth from the ages of 14-18 as well adults become pioneers and live the lifestyle they best they can as they pull handcarts.
Image result for Pioneer trek clothingImage result for Pioneer trek cooking
Yes we willing do this ever 4 years.  This year Doug and I have been ask to be Ma and Pa for a group of 8 kids.
Everything we will need for 4 days will be in this buckets. Yes I made my clothing. OK ok my mom made half of my clothing but I made over 10 aprons for different people.  I avoid the traditional brown, dark green and went with bright colors or purple, pink and blue.  I mean if I am going to suffer I am going to look cute doing it. In happy colors that I love.
Image result for Pioneer trek buckets

Yup 4 days with only the things that can fit in a Home Depot Bucket.  Thankful as Ma and Pa we have to bring lots of extra items which can fit in a backpack.  Than a large container full of cooking supplies.
Next question you might as is where are you sleeping? It gets even better.
Image result for Pioneer trek Tents
Tarps will be our tents. Thankfully I have a husband who has the ability to see anything and create it into a tent I will be living to sleep in. (I am bringing a sleeping mat as well as sleeping bag)

Food yes we will be cooking using a dutch over, coals and fire.
Image result for Pioneer trek cooking
I have been practicing baking bread, cooking stew over fire as well as lots of other helpful things. I can make bread really well everything else will take interesting.  We are also eating lots of oatmeal and portage. (FYI I am not a pickie eater but I hate Oatmeal.)

Image result for Pioneer trek activities

The first day of the trek we will be walking between 10-15 miles.  The next day we trek another few miles and set up base camp where the kids get to learn about life in 1830-1860's while Pa and I get life set up.  I really want to shoot the muskets.
No deodorant, No tooth Paste, Only items that were used during the time of pulling handcarts 1800's.  When I get back Saturday I am going to be very ripe and excited for a shower.
Yes we will be peeing in the woods, but they will have porta potties at main camp! Never thought I would be excited for Port a Potties in my life.

Everyone who has gone before us say we will love every second of the trek.
Personally I am still trying to figure out a way to bring deodorant and make the kids wear it without getting in trouble.

My kids are excited for the Trek because it means Grandma and Grandpa will be visiting and they will get spoiled rotten while I am away.

I won't know the kids until the day of the trek which makes me nervous 8 teenagers I have never met before.  ARRHHH

I will give you an update when I get home and if I survive. Someone mention Rattle Snakes! SERIOUSLY not what this Ma needs.

Follow the link to better understand what my husband and I are doing for spring break
https://www.lds.org/youth/activities/bc/pdfs/stake/PD10052956_000_Handcart_Trek_Booklet.pdf?lang=eng#page=21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.