Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review - No Place Like Rome - Julie Moffett - A Lexi Carmichael Mystery

18668790
Title: No Place Like Rome

Author: Julie Moffett

Review: Lexi Carmichael is a 100% Geek girl, gamer, and hacker who has zero social skills and can't tell the difference between a man hitting on her or wanting to be her friend.  In the first two books you meet Lexis friends and future love interest who can't get enough of her brain. No Place like Rome has the sexiest government secret hacking weapon Slash.  No place like Rome has Slash trying to free his Uncle in Rome who is accused of taking money from the Vatican Bank.  Slash asks for Lexis help and they take off to Rome where she meets Slash’s family, friends and possible girlfriends who have a different name for him.  Lexi calls him by this hacker name Slash and finds herself trying to figure out if he has more interest in her besides friendship. Lexis grand plans for a quick in and out backfire as she is the next target which makes for some funny moments between her and Slash. After all when in Rome.

 Lexi Carmichael has to be the most loveable character I have come across. She is 100% geek and has zero street smarts but she tries to think outside the box while putting herself in dangerous places without knowing how she got there. The Author keeps you guess who might be a double agent and who might want to harm Lexi.

I loved the advancement in the relationship between Slash and Lexi and how Lexi had no idea when a guy likes her or just wants to be friends which adds to the laughs causing tears to run down my face. Every geek girl can relate to Lexi at some point in this book which makes it so much fun to read. The author keeps true to the characters she has carefully crafted making you root for some, hoping others you never meet again and others you hope to see again. Though out the book Lexi is always trying to figureout Slash name and at the very end of the book he give her his name and I secretly hopes its true but since he likes to give people a different name I can't believe he is being truthful even with Lexi. 

There is no sex but a lot of sexual tension which again makes for a great chick lit book after all sometimes sex gets in the way of a fun read. There are a few moments of will they or won’t they? I am very excited for the next book in the series and I hope it is a little longer than this book.

This is a great chick lit series and is a quick read but by far my favorite in the series.

Thanks Heidi for this review.

Publisher: Published November 25th 2013 by Carina Press
ISBN: 9781299975125
Copyright: 2013
Pages: 117
Quick Review: 5 Stars out of 5
Why I Read It: Love books and series like this.
Where I Obtained the Book: I got it free at 
Netgalley
Synopsis:  A Lexi Carmichael Mystery

Italy might seem like a long way to go to hide after a disastrous date. But when sexy uberhacker Slash (no, that's not his real name) asks me to go with him to Rome on an investigation, the timing is sort of perfect. My messed-up love life becomes the least of my worries, though, after the dead body, the near-kidnapping and the discovery of a top secret encrypted file that even I can't hack.

With time running out, there's only one thing to do: call in the legendary Zimmerman twins and my best fluent-in-Italian friend, Basia, to crack the code. Now if only someone could help me solve the mystery of whether Slash is flirting, or if all the kissing is just one of those "when in Rome" things...

But when we finally uncover the secret someone would kill to keep, it's up to me to solve the case and save the lives of my best friends.

Just another week in the life of geek-girl Lexi Carmichael.

Read about Lexi's previous adventures in No One Lives Twice, No One to Trust and No Money Down.
Julie Moffett
Author Biography:  I have always been a romantic at heart. So when I finally decided to pursue my dream of writing a novel, naturally, it was a romance. I have published several novels in many genres – historicals, time-travels and paranormals.
I’m a military brat (Air Force) and have traveled extensively. My more exciting exploits include attending high school in Okinawa, Japan (Go, Kubasaki!), backpacking around Europe and Scandanavia for several months, a year-long college study in Warsaw, Poland and a wonderful trip to Scotland and Ireland where I fell in love with castle, kilts and brogues.

I have a B.A. in Political Science and Russian Language from Colorado College and a M.A. in International Affairs from George Washington University in Washington, D.C. I worked as a correspondent for the international radio station, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in Washington, D.C. writing hundreds of articles and producing numerous radio programs for eleven years before "retiring" to be a stay-at-home mom and full-time writer in 1999.

I speak Russian and Polish (I married a Pole in 1991!) and love reading foreign literature (especially Slavic). I had a beautiful baby boy named Alexander in 1995. I never knew what joy a child could bring to my life.

If you would like to receive occasional e-mails from me announcing my new releases, please let me know. I also have a newsletter and bookmarks available via snail mail. If you send a legal-sized SASE to the address below, I’ll be happy to put them in the mail for you.


Other Reviews:
Night Owl 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.