Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Book Review - Mists of Adriana - Roger Woodbury

The Mists of Adriana
Title:     Mists of Adriana

Author:  Roger Woodbury

Review: The story opens with the hero changing the tire of Adriana Burrows, a beautiful and multi-talented young lawyer.  She is driving a Porsche as does our hero and it is here that the two find a mutual attraction to each other and to each other’s cars.  As the story takes place Adriana becomes a mystery that our hero, she calls “Lancelot” decides he would really like to know more about.  They become involved with each other to the point that they fall in love.  One little hitch occurs though, she is still married to the head of a drug cartel in South America and has a young son, or so she tells him. As their time together goes on he learns more of her situation and wants to help her find a way out of it, what he doesn't know is that this all goes back to her job as a lawyer, for someone other than who he believes she working for.    Hint the DEA is involved in the story along with the CIA which adds a lot of color to the whole thing.

The story is well written though I did feel that the author went into a bit too much detail in some places that did not add anything to the story.

I thought it would be an intrigue but it was much more of a romance with the intrigue in the back ground until near the end, which gives an interesting twist on the story.

I like the book because the language was minimal and the sex stopped at the bedroom door which is a nice change of pace from most books of this type!

I give this book a 3-4 leaning more to the four side of it.

Thanks Eileen for this review.


Publisher:  CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (October 24, 2012)
Copyright: 2012
Pages:  252
ISBN:    978-1480177154
Quick Review:  3 1/2 stars out of 5
Where I obtained the book: Sent by the author for review.


Synopsis:   This is a mystery/thriller set on the coast of Maine. The principal character/narrator is a man entering his middle years. An army officer in Vietnam, upon returning form his first tour he learned his wife had died unexpectedly.  His response was to go back to Vietnam where he tried to get dead for the next two years.  Finally, he was sent home by a commanding officer who felt he had more worth alive than dying a mourning death.
He "retired" to a small house on the Maine coast where he became a writer and photographer.  His principal enjoyment comes from early morning drives around Mt. Desert Island, home to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor.  It is on one of these early morning drives that he stops to help a fellow motorist stranded with car trouble.  It is then he meets the semi-mysterious Adriana Barrows.
An early summer/early autumn relationship begins to develop as he learns more and more about Adriana's past.  And soon he learns again one of the lessons he learned in combat in Vietnam:  when things seem too good to be true, they often are.  To be sure, Adriana is a strong, independent woman.  A linguist with a background in the war on drugs and a fascination for him that he never expected to find.
 Image of Roger M Woodbury
Author Biography:  Roger M. Woodbury is a man who says his life has been "full and variable." "Full because of the wide range of experiences I have had," he says, "And variable because I have never wanted to stay nailed to one desk for a very long time. I have loved a woman (well, several actually); I have had my war (one was enough), and I have needed to reinvent my professional self many times. But always there was the writing, whether by pen, keyboard, carpenter's pencil, or something else. The writing has been the key to my ventures, experiments, and experiences. Now, I find myself of a 'certain age'. The Air Force had taken away my keys to their newest jet fighter; my calls to NASA's astronaut recruiter went unanswered and I am a bit too broad to fit in a Formula One race car. But I find I am not yet done and I will continue writing about my adventures, some fiction and some not, for the rest of my time. I hope the readers will enjoy the adventures with me."

Other Review: Amazon Reviews 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.