Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Book Review - On the Run: Ivy Malone Book 3 - Lorena McCourtney


On the Run (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #3)
Title: On the Run: The Ivy Malone Series Book 3

ReviewThis is the third book in the Ivy Malone Series that I have read.  I just love Ivy, she is a no nonsense gal who solves mysteries while putting on her support hose, pulling up her girdle and applying her bunion pads.  This book will appeal to all ages but to the geritol set it will keep you laughing. (which is good for your heart)

 Ivy Malone is an “older woman” or a LOL, Little Old Lady.  Somehow this LOL becomes involved in mysteries and murders everywhere she goes.  This book starts out rather bloody but is a great story, easy read and you will come to love this spry LOL in her daily crusade to make life better, not only for her but those around her and solve mysteries to boot. Now that was a very long sentence but it just could not be cut up.

In the beginning of this book Ivy has given up her T bird that belonged to her and Harvey, her husband, and has bought a motor home.  Having bought the motor home, she is finding out just how expensive it is to run one and how lonely being by yourself can be.  She finds a one eyed cat at a rest stop, adopts her,him and talks things over with him/her-it (have any of us done that before?)

The Braxton’s come into this again and Ivy feels that she is being set up, tries to lose a pickup truck by pulling into a small town in Oklahoma, I think, well maybe not Oklahoma, I’m having a “Senior” moment, well it was a small town somewhere anyway. Ivy hears about a job and goes to the ranch/farm of a reclusive couple only to discover????  This couple are hoarders but in a different way and Ivy has to sort through all the layers of this couples life so she can understand their strange ways better. While doing this she has a battle with a castle of toilet paper, not to mention piles of corn beef. The nice thing this time is, she has made friends with a young girl running away from her abusive husband and Ivy is able to give her the help to find her way and the courage to do what needs to be done.

The only problem I have with this book is the constant mention of the Braxtons from the first book, I think it is time to drop them and perhaps run into her dear friends Magnolia and Geoff Margollin a little more often.  (after all they are all in motor homes now)

Well in the end, this book, though not as good as the first one is a fun read and I recommend it anyone who wants light reading and a fun adventure.  I give this book a 4.

Thanks goes to Eileen for this review.


Publisher: Published January 1st 2006 by FlemingH. Revell Company
ISBN: 9780800759568
Copyright: 2006
Pages: 317
Quick Review: 4 stars out of 5 
Why I Read this Book:  I read the 1st one in the series and loved it, then the 2nd and now I need to read the rest.
Where I Obtained the Book: I bought it off of Amazon for Kindle. 


Synopsis: Super senior sleuth Ivy Malone is spunkier than Miss Marple, with a curiosity that just won't quit. That inquisitiveness has gotten her into plenty of trouble, including murder, mayhem, and a place on a mini-Mafia hit list. Now Ivy's headed across the country with a stray cat and God as her only companions. But just when she thinks she's safe, two dead bodies turn up-discovered by Ivy, of course. A flock of emus, a survivalist outpost, and paintball are just a few of the strange things Ivy has to deal with in order to solve this latest crime. But will anyone believe the truth? On the Run, the third book in the Ivy Malone mysteries, is a mix of great fun and great suspense. Readers will love Ivy's latest lively adventure.
 Lorena McCourtney - Christian Author
Author Biography:  My husband and I live in southern Oregon. For many years we lived on rural acreage, lots of space and country peace and quiet. But a few months ago we decided it was time to make the move to town.

If any of you have ever lived in one home for 32 years, you'll know how difficult a move this was. Emotionally difficult, but mostly it was all that STUFF we had to get rid of. Everything from two old sofas (one given away, one chopped up and burned) to a pair of mounted impala horns to a dump truck and a 1,000 gallon gasoline tank.

But the move is, at last, accomplished, and I'm finding myself quite pleased with town living.

I have one son and a granddaughter. Jim has two daughters and three grandchildren. Our family is fairly well scattered, so we do not see them as often as we’d like.

I started writing in the fifth grade. All my stories were about horses. This love of horses carried me through a degree in agriculture from Washington State University. My first job out of college, however, was with a big meat-packing company in the Midwest, where I quickly discovered that writing about hogs and sausage making was not my life’s calling.

Marriage and motherhood intervened, and by the time I got back to writing, I knew fiction was what I wanted to write. I started out doing short stories for children and teenagers, mostly for Sunday-School publications. Then, primarily because of financial pressures, I wrote women’s short stories and romance novels, all the time promising the Lord I would get back to Christian writing. Finally, after 24 published romance novels, the Lord made plain that it was time to make good on that promise. It was time to become a Christian author and write exclusively Christian fiction. The first 6 of these books were with the Palisades line of Christian romance, but with my 7th book of Christian fiction, WHIRLPOOL, I turned to a stronger emphasis on mystery.

One of the nicest perks of being a Christian author is hearing from readers, and I’d be delighted to hear from any of you. Contact me at lorena2@earthlink.net.

Other Reviews: 
The Suspense Zone
Dexid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.