Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book Review - Perception - Heather Cashman

Perception (The Tigers' Eye Trilogy, Book 1).
Title:    Perception    

Author:  Heather Cashman

Review:    I’m really not into teen\young adult books but I'm so happy I read this book.

 At first I thought the book reminded me of Hunger Games because both worlds have Districts and Hunger Games had the Games and Perception has the Campaign. The difference is how the heroin finds her freedom or her perception of freedom.   It also has the fantasy of Philip Pullman His Dark Materials with the connection between Human and ingenium animal and the unconditional love the human and ingenium have for one another. 

The first few chapters were a little confusing and I wasn't sure what was going on and how the animals (ingenium) and people worked, to be honest I’m still not sure I completely understand even after I finished reading the book.  I have to be honest and tell you I was quite lost at  one time and just hope that the author will clarify the connection in her next book.  At times I would get lost and have to reread the section because the action of the character didn't seem to fit or work with the scene presented in of the book, but I loved the story.  Heather is a fantastic story teller.

 I loved the idea of ingenium in this case a tiger and being able to telepathically communicate with them at all times.  I also loved the fact that ingenium couldn't lie but could only communicate though what they saw as their perception.  The love between the human and ingenuim is beautiful and I wish sometimes I could see myself the way others see me.

I loved the heroin of the book Ardana and her ingenium Rijan.  She was feisty, insecure about herself, strong, doesn't take no for an answer and tries so hard to right wrongs.  She has a twin brother Kade and they telepathically communicate with each other and their ingenium.  In the begining of the book Kade and Ardana were never allowed to be alone with one another, we see how their relationship changes when they are constantly with one another.  Their connection is beautiful and yet a painful bond as they feel each other’s passions, loss and desires.

There is romance in the book but it is fun to read and I have to admit when Ardana wasn't sure of her feelings I wanted to yell " How could you NOT love this guy? I love this guy." the romance is made for teenagers so there isn't anything inappropriate.

There are several themes that float though the book; What is freedom, What is truth, Unconditional love, Choice and Perception?  Ardana explores each of these themes though-out the book and when she finds the answer to the question we learn a little more about her and slowly fall in love with this character. The author had me asking myself the same question of what is freedom and what choices would I make if I was Ardana. I never felt the connection with Hunger Games as I feel with Perception.

With all the popularly of young adult books and how many seem to be a knock off of another I find this book refreshing because it is its own story and book. There are sword fights, death match, romance with realistic charm, and amazing characters you will fall in love with. 

Give this book a try you will not be disappointed.  I cannot wait for the next one.

Thank you Heidi for this review..Heidi is a regular guest reviewer with us.

Publisher:  Published June 29th 2011 by Heather Cashman

Copyright: 2011

Pages:  Kindle Version 294 pages

ISBN:  9780983671213

Quick Review:  4 ½ Stars out of 5. 

Why I Read it:  The author was looking for reviewers to read his book, I am a guest blogger here and so Lisa asked if I would take a look at this book.

Where I Obtained the Book:  Sent by the author.

Synopsis:  Your perception will sharpen once you see through a tiger's eyes.
More than five hundred years after the apocalypse, the survivors of off-grid genetic experimentation have refined their mixed DNA to the point that humans and their animal counterparts share physical and mental links. Varying species have divided into districts, living in a tenuous peace under the President of Calem.


Ardana and her tiger ingenium Rijan leave their life of exile and abuse in the Outskirts, setting out with their twin brothers to redeem themselves and become citizens of the Center. But shedding their past isn't as easy as they had hoped. When the system that shunned them becomes embroiled in political conflict and treachery, their unique abilities and experiences from the Outskirts make them invaluable to every faction. The runaways become pawns to friends as well as enemies, and with every step it becomes more difficult to tell which is which.


heather photo 
Author Biography:  I write because I have to. That’s the reality of it. When more than a few days go by and I haven’t had time to get into the story (because of editing, formatting, family, etc.), I get depressed, irritable, lonely in a crowd. It is something I can’t quite explain to anyone, least of all myself. It just happens. It also happens between stories. I have more than one series that I am writing, and if I stay too long in Calem without visiting Brynne and Jaxon in my Shifter Series, the same thing happens on a lesser scale. Once their stories are done, I can move on with my writing, but have to go back occasionally and read it. Or decide to write a prequel. (What am I thinking?)

Other than write, I like to spend time with my kids, since it seems so fleeting. They are my best friends. We do everything together. We have TV marathons, go to the mall, bake, take long walks, listen to audio books while putting together puzzles, and generally torment one another with our idiosyncrasies the way all best friends should from time to time.


I am learning to play the piano with my son. I’m not very good at it, but I’ve heard that if you keep learning new things until the day you die, you can fend off Alzheimer’s. I occasionally take a Latin Lesson or two.


I have a garden that takes me back to the reality of where I came from, where I will eventually return, and reminds me to make the most of the in between. I also love the feeling of harvest, the law of reaping what one has sown. It is a feeling of accomplishment and communion with the earth that makes me feel grounded.

Other Reviews: 






1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something my daughter would love to read! Thanks for sharing this review.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.