Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Book Review - Hollowmen - The Hollows #2 - Amanda Hocking


Hollowmen (The Hollows, #2)
Title:  Hollowmen

Author:  Amanda Hocking

Review
:  Amanda Hocking picks up where she left off in the book Hollowland and she keeps the reader biting their nails. If you haven't read the first novel Hollowland please stop reading my review because it will give several spoilers starting NOW. *** I warned you.

Remy King is a strong female but at times a confusing character.  We last read about Remy as she was saving her brother from a Military lab where he was hooked up to machines trying to solve the mystery of why he was immune to the zombie bites.  Remy takes her brothers place and is put though pure torture for the good of the world but when the zombies break into the military compound she’s left on an operation table to fend for herself.  Thankful she has a friend, Tatum, who comes to save her. 

The author created another band of misfit survivors as they travel across the US to find a safe environment and when they hear that Zombies cannot handle the cold they head north. Now I will have to take issues with the author and the original band of misfit Remy King first traveled with. They leave her behind in the evacuation of the base. I couldn't imagine Lazlo leaving Remy because of how much he loved her in Hollowland.  It broke my heart when she finally gets to hear Lazlo for the first time only to act like nothing happened in the first book.  I understand that author wrote Remy to be adaptable to what is going on at that moment without regret, but it killed me. 

As the little band of misfits help Remy to find her brother and her tiger we are able to finally see Remy have emotions again, but we also read how much compassion her little brother has for those around him.  In some ways the author wrote Remy opposite of her brother so if you couldn't identity with one you could with the other.

Just like the first book there are loss of characters you love, some that surprise you and character you hope never to meet in real life.  The author creates great imaginary that makes the reader feel they are walking thought the heat of the desert or the freezing cold while hearing the zombies moans and screams all around them.

The author ends the book perfectly because if she decides she wants to write a new story in the Hollow series without using the same characters she can because I would love to know what happened to Lazlo.

I enjoy reading Amanda Hocking’s Zombie series and it is perfect for those who have never read zombie books.  It has the gore, violence and a little sex but it is just enough without going over the top.

Thanks go to Heidi for this review.

Publisher: Published November 10th 2011 by Fraggin Aardvark
Copyright: 2011
Pages: 194
Quick Review: 4 stars out of 5 
Where I Obtained the Book: Purchased on Kindle after reading Hollowland. 

Synopsis: the sequel to Hollowland....

After six months in the quarantine, Remy finds out things are much worse than she feared. Her plans to escape come with a heavy cost, and she realizes that zombies aren't the worst of her problems.
Amanda Hocking
Author Biography:  I live in Minnesota, and I write young adult paranormal romance and urban fantasy mostly. The My Blood Approves series is about vampires in Minneapolis, and its available now. I also wrote the Trylle Trilogy, which is a paranormal romance without vampires, shifters, mermaids, fae, angels, dragons, ghosts, or ninjas.

My latest book is Hollowland - a zombie urban fantasy set in the dystopian near future. It's a bit more violent and gritter than my other books, but there is still romance. Mostly though, Remy kicks a lot of butt.

I also enjoy Red Bull, Jim Henson, Batman, Jane Austen, Star Wars legos, and I absolutely hate long walks on the beach out of my intense fear/hatred of wet sand

My favorite authors are Kurt Vonnegut, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, Alan Moore, and J. D. Salinger, but I don't write anything like them. I have an obsession with River Phoenix, and I've seen Silence of the Lambs more than any other movie, even The Dark Knight. If I were trapped on a deserted island, the one thing I'd take with me would be a boat capable for taking me home.

I'm also the guitarist in a band called the Fraggin Aardvarks, and even though its even twice as cool as it sounds, we haven't had a practice in like two years, so I'm not sure that technically we are still a band. But we never broke up, and it's an awesome thing to tell people, so I'm sticking with it. (We even had a synethesizer!)

Other Reviews: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.